What We Know So Far About The Putra Heights Inferno
KINIGUIDE | Malaysians were rocked by news yesterday morning of an explosion and gas pipeline fire in a residential area, namely Putra Heights in Puchong, Selangor.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing the towering inferno from many kilometres away.
Fortunately, despite the damage, the fire has been extinguished with no deaths being reported so far.
In this instalment of KiniGuide, we will give a quick rundown of what we know so far about the conflagration.
ADSWhen did it happen?
Petronas, which owns the pipeline, said the fire occurred at 8.10am on April 1. However, timestamps from dashcam footage that caught the moment of the explosion appear to suggest it occurred slightly earlier, at 8.08am.
The Selangor Fire and Rescue Department initially said it received a call at 8.23am, but revised the time to 8.10am in a later update.
Where exactly was it?
The site of the fire is near Jalan Putra Harmoni 1/3 and 1/4, in Putra Height, Puchong.
It is located along a gas pipeline that divides the Taman Harmoni gated community to the east and Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru to the west.

Images on Google Earth and Google Streetview show the gas pipeline as long tracts of empty grassland that are fenced off and marked by rows of yellow warning signs, apart from roads and highways that run across the pipeline.
The pipes themselves are underground, with the fire reportedly caused by a leak from a 500m section of the pipe.
How did firefighters put out the fire?
The first firefighters arrived at 8.22am, with more arriving later until the force totalled 78 personnel, including a hazardous materials unit. Other assets included 10 fire engines, four emergency response teams, five water tankers, a breathing apparatus tender, and an aerial ladder platform.
Altogether, there were 325 personnel from 11 agencies.
In an effort to starve the fire of fuel, Petronas had reportedly shut four valves starting 8.46am. The last valve was closed at 11.48am.
ADSReports differ on where the valves are located, with one report stating it is located in Dengkil, Puchong, Batu Tiga, and Meru. Another report said it is in Kampung Lombong Puchong, Batu Tiga, Shah Alam and Klang.

Fire and Rescue Department director-general Nor Hisham MohamadFire and Rescue Department director-general Nor Hisham Mohamad added that Petronas also vented gas from the pipeline – a process that reportedly took about four hours to fully release the gas.
Firefighters also worked to evacuate residents from the surrounding area and prevent the fire from spreading.
The fire was extinguished at 3.45pm.
How bad was the fire?
So far, it has been reported that 305 people were affected, including 104 who received treatment at various public and private hospitals.
Fortunately, no deaths have been reported so far, and all victims are in stable condition, although Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad said some had suffered second- or third-degree burns.

Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad with Bandar Tun Razak MP Dr Wan Azizah Wan IsmailIn terms of property damage, Hisham reportedly said 237 houses were affected. This includes 78 houses and 10 shops - that were 10 to 90 percent burnt.
In addition, 275 cars and 56 motorcycles were destroyed.
Meanwhile, Bernama quoted eyewitnesses seeing the flame from as far as six kilometres from the incident in Kampung Seri Aman, Puchong.
Sand and gravel, believed to be from the explosion, also rained on the area.
“At 8am this morning I was about to go to work, I felt strange because I heard the sound of rumbling and like the sound of an airplane right above the house, when I came out, I saw a towering fire clearly visible even though it was far away and my vehicle was already filled with dust and fine gravel,” Nor Azian Jamil, 51, was quoted as saying.
An area of approximately 290 square metres covering Taman Harmoni and Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru has been cordoned off until it was deemed safe to return in the coming days.
What is being done for the victims?
In the immediate aftermath of the fire, victims were reportedly taken to the nearby Sri Maha Kaliamman Temple and Surau Nurul Iman for initial treatment.
They were then taken to hospitals in Serdang, Cyberjaya, and Putrajaya.
Several mosques have also opened their doors to provide shelter for the victims, including the USJ 9 Al Falah Mosque and Putra Heights Mosque.

It should be noted that as of last night, there are only two temporary evacuation centres, namely the Putra Heights Mosque and the Subang Jaya City Council Multipurpose Hall.
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has announced RM2,500 as immediate relief for those whose houses have been damaged by the inferno, and RM5,000 for those whose houses have been completely destroyed.
Additional aid is still being discussed between the federal government, state government, and Petronas.

Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim inspecting areas affected by the fireAnwar added that it could take a year or more to repair the damaged houses.
Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari urged all victims to register themselves and their families with the State Disaster Management Unit at the temporary evacuation centre at Putra Heights Mosque to ensure they would receive aid.

Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin ShariMeanwhile, the Malaysian Animal Association said it is offering free pet care services up to April 8 for the victims, covering small animals such as cats, rabbits, birds, hamsters, hedgehogs and pet civets.
What caused the fire?
The cause of the fire is still being investigated, with Amirudin reportedly saying that a preliminary report should be ready within 72 hours.
There is also widespread speculation that the gas leak and subsequent fire were caused by excavation works near the pipeline.
On this, Bernama quoted Hisham saying it is still too early to determine the cause of the fire.
Amirudin has urged those with information about the incident to pass it to the authorities.

Selangor police chief Hussein Omar KhanSelangor police chief Hussein Omar Khan has said the police, Fire and Rescue Department, and Petronas will conduct inspections to determine the cause of the fire, including allegations that it was due to excavation.
“We accept all information, including allegations there was earthwork done in the area that caused the fire.
“We will look into everything and if it is true, we want to know who did the earthwork,” he was quoted as saying. - Mkini
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :
http://malaysiansmustknowthetruth.blogspot.com/2025/04/what-we-know-so-far-about-putra-heights.html