Pm Told To Use Rotan After Govt Allows Weddings Of 500 In Conditional Mco Areas
COVID-19 | Klang MP Charles Santiago said Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin should consider walking the talk about using his "rotan" (cane) after the government allowed wedding gatherings of up to 500 people in areas under the conditional movement control order (MCO) that has been implemented to curb the spread of Covid-19.
"Gatherings were discouraged to contain the virus... (Defence Minister) Ismail Sabri Yaakob says weddings up to 500 (people) possible.
"Should religious groups and circus organisers ask for the same privilege?
"Has (the) conditional MCO become comedy MCO? Abah PM Muhyiddin Yassin, time to rotan?" he said in a Twitter post.
Santiago said this in reference to Muhyiddin's Covid-19 address on television on Tuesday where Muhyiddin called himself "abah" (father) and joked about whipping out the rotan if people did not comply with Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOP).
The joke sparked a backlash on social media amid a perception that government leaders have not done enough to comply with the SOP against Covid-19.
This included de facto Religious Affairs Minister Zulkifli Mohamad Bakri and Deputy Environment and Water Minister Ahmad Masrizal Mohamad getting infected with Covid-19 after campaigning in the Sabah election last month.
Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister Khairuddin Aman Razali was also in hot water after flouting quarantine rules.
Parts of Klang were put under the conditional MCO effective yesterday as the area slipped into a red zone, meaning that it has 40 or more active Covid-19 cases.
The conditional MCO also took force in three districts in Sabah, namely Sandakan, Papar and Tuaran.
Among the measures under the conditional MCO saw travel into and out of the designated areas restricted.
Shops must close by 6pm while taxi, e-hailing and petrol stations must end their service by 8pm. Markets must also close by 2pm while night markets are banned.
Ahead of the conditional MCO coming into force, couples had rushed to tie the knot, believing that weddings would also be disrupted.
However, Ismail, who is also the senior minister in charge of the MCO, said wedding ceremonies of up to 500 people will still be allowed.
He added that guests from outside the MCO areas would be allowed in to attend the ceremony by showing the wedding invitation at police roadblocks.
However, the leeway has raised concern for infectious disease expert Christopher Lee who is acting as an adviser to the Health Ministry.
"Weddings exceeding 500 guests allowed in conditional MCO areas.
"Will be iffy, especially if held indoors. In a celebratory atmosphere with food and drinks, distancing and consistent masking would be difficult.
"Postponing reception is hard, but couples should consider that," he said in a Twitter post. - Mkini
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :