Shahrir Won T Defend Jb Umno Division Chief Post
Umno veteran Shahrir Ab Samad announced today he will not defend the Johor Bahru Umno division chief’s post which he held since the 1980s, in the upcoming party elections.
The former Johor Baru MP who turns 74 on Nov 22 this year, said he felt it was the right time to step down and make room for a new leader.
"This allows me to be 'Shahrir' again. Whether I will still be active on social media, I’m not sure yet.
"Future leaders should be given the responsibility from now to start Umno's preparations for both the Johor state election and the 16th general election," he told reporters after attending a special meeting of the Johor Umno liaison body in Johor Bahru today.
He said the move had nothing to do with the court case ruling that acquitted him of money laundering charges by the High Court, early last month.
Shahrir (above) was previously charged in court for failing to declare RM1 million received through a cheque from former prime minister Najib Abdul Razak to the Inland Revenue Board (LHDN).
Meanwhile, in a statement, Shahrir, who is also the Umno election committee chairperson, reminded all candidates who would be contesting in the 2023 Umno election to conduct healthy campaigning and adhere to the party's constitution.
He said any complaints involving misconduct during the campaigning period should be reported to the Umno disciplinary board immediately.
The Umno election process began on Feb 1 involving meetings and elections for branch committees, as well as the Wanita, Youth, and Puteri wings and the branch level.
The delegates’ meetings and the Umno divisional committee elections as well as contests for seats in the Umno Supreme Council will be held simultaneously across the country on March 18.
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :