Penang Group Says Company Getting Away With Land Clearing Despite Stop Work Orders
Google Earth photos showing the extent of land-clearing activities in Teluk Bahang from 2002 to 2018.
GEORGE TOWN: A company involved in a granite quarry has a history of ignoring stop-work orders since 2016, says a group of environmentalists concerned with land clearing in Penang
The Penang Hills Watch (PHW), an independent monitoring team that spots for erosions and illegal land clearing on hills, said its checks showed the company had ignored stop-work orders from the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) in 2016 and also last year
This comes after a 120m hill lock near the quarry in Teluk Bahang, was found stripped down despite two stop-work orders issued last year
PHW said based on Google Earth imagery, a stream can be seen flowing through the quarry site before discharging into the Teluk Bahang bay, barely 1 km from the fish cages in the bay
The group lodged a police report against the landowner last month
“The landowner was supposed to appoint an engineer to rehabilitate the site
A stream from the quarry seen discharging directly to the Teluk Bahang bay.
“It is, therefore, puzzling as to why quarrying activities have continued since the stop-work order was issued on May 13, 2016,” the group said
PHW also questioned why stop-work orders were not enforced
“We urge that stern action be taken to enforce the stop-work order and prevent further destruction of the hill slopes. Rehabilitation of the denuded slopes must be carried out soonest. The environment and the health of people cannot be compromised.”The group has also submitted a report on land clearing activities to the state government in 2017
The state’s local government committee was then headed by current chief minister Chow Kon Yeow
FMT has contacted MBPP for comment. - FMT
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :