Security In Sabah Under Control Says State Police Chief
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hazani Ghazali speaking to reporters after briefing Sabah Chief Minister at the Sabah police contingent headquarters, Kepayan. - NSTP/PAUL MU.KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hazani Ghazali said the general security situation in Sabah is under control during the ongoing Movement Control Order (MCO) 3.0 due to cooperation from all quarters.
"The police are committed to make sure the people in Sabah follow the standard operating procedures (SOP) at all times," he told reporters after briefing Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor on the state's MCO security management at the Sabah police headquarters in Kepayan here today.
"The Chief Minister was satisfied with the works carried out by the police in enforcing the SOP alongside other enforcement agencies to contain the spread of the virus."
He also clarified that it was untrue many police personnel working in the frontlines in Labuan had contracted the virus.
"It is just a rumour as only 15 police personnel, including those in Labuan and Sabah had contracted the virus as compared to over100 people after the Sabah election last year; and less than 150 people are quarantined," said Hazani.
He said so far, 85 per cent of the Sabah police personnel had received the Covid-19 vaccination.
On the requirements for workers from certain sectors to get permission from the International Trade and Industry Ministry (MITI) to work during the lockdown, Hazani said the procedures were simple and convenient for the people.
He said workers must get their company or their department's official letters before travelling.
For the essential services sector, they must get the permit from the police before they are allowed to cross to other districts, he said.
"The approval letters are for official work only, but there are some people who abused the letters to return to their villages during the weekends," he said.
Besides that, Hazani said the police will continue to conduct surprise checks in targeted areas especially in Tawau and Labuan, where both have a high number of Covid-19 cases.
On the latest progress of the Abu Sayyaf Group's movement, he said the police are monitoring the situation closely with the cooperation of the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) and the Philippines' security forces.
"We are monitoring if there is any attempt from the group to enter Sabah so that appropriate action can be taken," he said.
Last month, the police force shot dead four members of the group during a special integrated operation in Beaufort.
On yet another issue, Hazani said a Sabahan Covid-19 vaccine donor, Yong Chee Kong, was under investigation by the Penang police.
"We are just assisting them (Penang police) to record his statement. He is still under investigation," he said.
Yong is a businessman who allegedly wanted to donate and pay for the supply of two-million doses of the Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine to the Penang government.
On May 19, Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said the offer by the company involved in the correspondence between the businessman and the Penang government did not exist. The minister also said that checks with Sinovac Biotech Ltd showed there was no such agreement on the matter.
This eventually led to the Penang government lodging a police report. - NST
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :