Army Voters Angered By Mohamaddin S Faux Pax On Lahad Datu
SABAH POLLS | Army personnel are outraged over Warisan's candidate for Segama Mohamaddin Ketapi's controversial remark on the Lahad Datu intrusion.
A straw poll conducted by Malaysiakini at a naval base showed that many of them knew about the incident via social media.
An army officer declined to comment when asked on the matter while another said he had not read about it on social media.
However, another army man who spoke with the condition of anonymity said many of his colleagues were angry when they learnt about the incident from social media.
"Many of us were deployed there (Lahad Datu) even though we did not play a major role. Back then, the news of security members being killed saddened us.
"As such, we are angry with such insensitive remark (by Mohamaddin)," he said.
"This incident alone has made me change my view about a party (Warisan)," he added.
Meanwhile, another army personnel said Mohamaddin's remark was illogical and many of his colleagues were angry.
Despite this, he said the incident alone would not influence his vote as he would weigh all factors.
He said he would cast a ballot that would trigger a change for Sabah.
"This incident would be one of many factors that I would have to consider before I vote," he added.
Another officer who shared his view said he would like to consider voting for a third force.
He also said the former Pakatan Harapan tourism and culture minister was known for making controversial remarks.
A total of 2,317 navy personnel will be voting at the Kota Kinabalu Royal Malaysian Naval base at Sepanggar, Sabah as early voters.
They are part of the 16,877 security forces personnel who will go to the polls today comprising 7,487 armed forces personnel and their spouses as well as 9,390 police personnel and their spouses.
Security forces personnel who are on duty, meanwhile, will cast their ballots on polling day itself which is set for Sept 26.
In the short video clip which went viral early Monday, Mohamaddin had told voters while campaigning that the 2013 Lahad Datu incident was only a sandiwara (staged act) by the federal government then.
He claimed that the Umno-led government had done so to secure support from Sabahans in the 13th general election, which was conducted later the same year.
Mohamaddin had since apologised for his comment saying the short video clip of his remarks had been taken out of context.
Following his remarks, the minister was bombarded with criticisms for allegedly insulting the members of security forces who fought and died in the battle.
Police aided by the armed forces had launched "Operation Daulat" in March 2013 in response to an intrusion by an armed group that dubbed themselves the "Royal Sulu Army". The group wanted to claim Sabah as their territory.
The incident ended a month later, in early April. By then, 10 members of security forces had been killed. The intruders suffered 65 casualties while over 100 others were arrested.
Mohamaddin had claimed gays didn't exist in Malaysia, said he was “too poor” to declare his assets when the then Harapan government made asset declaration compulsory and shot down a fellow coalition MP who raised concerns about child sexual abuse. - Mkini
Artikel ini hanyalah simpanan cache dari url asal penulis yang berkebarangkalian sudah terlalu lama atau sudah dibuang :